Act Like A Leader, Think Like A CEO
- Read daily. Pick up books about business advice or any topic that relates to agency ownership. The more you read, the better prepared you will be to create strategic plans to move your agency forward. I suggest setting aside 30 minutes everyday to read and stay abreast of what’s trending in the industry. Tip: Download Audible to listen during your commute or morning jog!
- Plan your priorities. Successful CEO’s have many things common and one leading commonality is that they have mastered the art of how to effectively manage their time. More than anything, they have organized their personal lives and their business. Henry Kaiser, founder of Kaiser Aluminum and Kaiser Permanente Health Care, says, “Every minute spent in planning will save you two in execution.” Time cannot be retrieved, so live every as effectively as you can.
- Value the process more than events. Move beyond the goal of being in the Top 10 in your district or state. Strive for measurable continuous agency performance month to month. Events in life are temporary, they teach us how to make better decisions. However, it is the process of change and growth that will have lasting value. Choose to embrace the process and learn from both.
- Seek balance and team development. Improve your teams effectiveness by ensuring that new team members complete a thorough onboarding program and creating development opportunities to learn about topics like changing technology, communication, managing job performance during a crisis and sales execution.
- Be Authentic: What do you want people to say about you when you are not in the room? What do you stand for? What are some things that are deal breakers? Answer these questions based on your own gifts, talents, skills and abilities and determine how they align with the needs of your agency growth and culture. Remember, you set the tone of your agency.
Mernice Oliver, affectionately known as “Coach MO, ” is the president and head coach of Mernice Oliver International, LLC, a coaching & consulting firm helping women insurance entrepreneurs launch, build, grow and scale thriving insurance agencies. She is also founder & CEO of the National Association for Advancement of Women In Insurance, a professional leadership organization focused on helping minority and multicultural women build success and thriving insurance careers. Coach MO has rendered transformational results her specialty of mindset, agency management, and staff development for her clients which have made her a much sought after coach, consultant, and speaker on the regional and national platforms.
Get the good stuff
Get regular hits of insurance inspiration delivered to your inbox.